Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Day of rest

Sunday was a very special day here at Rising Star! The LDS church members here in India were scheduled to watch conference next week, so we were able to go to church in the new Chennai chapel!! From the outside it looks like a temple! It is majestic and bright in comparison to the surrounding city. There was a sense of peace and safety within the gate.
Just as expected, the meetings were consistent with church meetings at home. Gospel principles were taught, the SPIRIT was felt, only the faces and clothing were different. I very much enjoyed hearing hymns sung with an Indian accent. My testimony grew that day. One man who spoke said, "Before I joined the church I knew love. After I joined the church I knew perfect love."





The view in back of the church.

The view in front of the church.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Later-Day Saints

Less than 20% of the people in India are Christians, so it is interesting to me to find so many hints of Christianity during my travels. Rising Star is a non-denominational school, but the love of God, Jesus and christian principles are taught here. During prayer time we sing hymns from the LDS hymn book. The head house mother teaches the children a lesson from the Bible.
I was pleasantly surprised to see the head house mom and a few of the children from Rising Star at church on Sunday! The children at Rising Star are undoubtedly in good hands. The spirit can always be felt on campus. It truly is a special place!
Pictures of Jesus in the girls' hostel...

A cherished ring..
At the Vandaloor leper colony...
A Rising Star van.
Because I have been given much, I too must give.
I will always strive to be be kind, pure in heart, selfless, caring and worthy to walk among angels. There are many angels here!

No comments:

Post a Comment