Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Family

Saturday was parents' day! This only happens twice a year so it is a very special event. The family members of the children came to visit and spend some quality time with them. For weeks the kids have been working on performances to show their families. The choir sang, and each age group did a special number. I was grinning from ear to ear the whole time. The looks on their parents' faces were priceless.
While we were waiting for the performance to start, one of the house mothers put a string of jasmine in my hair. It made me feel so special! It's traditional to put flowers in your hair for special events. Jasmine smells like extremely potent lilacs! I was surrounded by flowery air for the rest of the day.
The dances choreographed to Michael Jackson were my favorite!
All the kids did such a great job! The choir was beautiful and the dance numbers were entertaining and hip. Some of these kids are extremely good.. maybe a dance career is in their future.
These lovely ladies were smiling at us so sweetly. It's easy to feel like instant friends with the people here.


After the performance the families gathered in groups under the mango trees for a picnic. We had the opportunity to walk around and visit with them.
This is Pria's father. I was so touched to see him part and comb her hair, then gently place flowers on top. His love and adoration for her was palpable.
Such a sweet moment.
Oh, my, my, my. Indian babies are my weakness! AHH!
Future Rising Star kids? I hope so!!
This is Nadia's family. Each family we visited would say, "You want food? Come, sit, take picture." It was wonderful to meet these gracious people.
Soon it was time for dinner and play time with the kids. I got to tell them how proud I was of their performances. It was a perfect day!
This boy is always challenging me to some type of rough and tumble game, thumb wars, the hand slapping game, or this one where the person who gets pushed backwards wins. Don't let this picture fool you. He severely underestimated my strength and I whooped him every time. Ha!
My cuties Megala and Oosha (spelt phonetically) I don't know how I'm ever going to leave them..

1 comment: