Thursday, April 5, 2012

Teach me..

My second day of tutoring was bitter sweet. I have grown to love these kids so much! The one-on-one time I get to spend with them is SO sweet as we get to know each other and make special connections. This day was bitter because I knew it would be my last time teaching. I took pictures so I would never forget these sweet faces. Some of these cuties still need sponsors! Let me know if they tug your heart stings as well.

The girl directly above my head had leprosy as a baby and her family left her in the garbage. Now her home is Rising Star. We love you Jennifer! You may be wondering, who's the light one? Her name is Nisha and she is an albino. More importantly, she is a sweet girl with a loving heart, and she's my lunch buddy!


NISHA (So photogenic. She says the dots on her head are just there because they look good!)
GRACIE (She is so tiny and quiet as a mouse.)
M. VIJAY (Will work hard when bribed with a party!)
USHA (This girl has my heart. I am seriously considering sponsoring her! She said to Denie the other day, "Your sister, I love your sister very much." The feeling is mutual.)
BOSHA (He was having a hard day that day. I hope I made him feel a little happier.)
Rumplestiltskin according to Treen-
I had two students pick this book for me to read to them. As I read, I was concerned about the messages being taught. Anna was very beautiful, maybe even beautiful enough to be queen... To this I said to Gracie, "You don't have to be tall, blond, skinny, white or have long hair to be beautiful. YOU are beautiful. All people are beautiful." The father forced her to go to the king, who would only agree to marry her if she spun a room of hay into gold. If she didn't, she would die. To Bosha I said, "This is not a nice king. He should not treat Anna that way. She would not want to marry him." Bosha said, "She WILL marry him." I replied, "She might, but if she does she won't like him very much." I also asked him what was more important, beauty on the inside or beauty on the outside. He couldn't decide. I told him what's inside matters most!
I found it interesting that the children kept choosing this book (even though I hid it as best as I could after the first time) because it follows along closely with Indian tradition in that the father tells the daughter who she will marry, and all too often the husband is abusive. I have heard stories about what some of these kiddos face when they visit home. I wish there was an easy answer or solution to help them..
All we can do is plant little seeds and hope they grow. Maybe my students will think of Rumplestiltskin a little differently now! :)
This is my friend Nitia. What I know about her so far- she is nineteen years old, she is great at henna art, she studies her Bible every evening, she is a wonderful house mother and is beautiful inside and out. I am going to miss her.
I am grateful for this day and this experience. Lucky me!

No comments:

Post a Comment