Saturday, March 31, 2012

The elephant house (home)

The Elephant House is one of my favorite places on earth! Just walking down the sunlit courtyard fills me with joy. It feels peaceful, serene, warm and uplifting!
There's the bathroom... We have some crazy good times laughing at ourselves in there..
Don't use the sink water to brush your teeth or you'll get sick. A water bottle is a must!
The bucket shower. You fill the large bucket with water (it's kinda brown a little smelly and cold) then scoop out some water with a smaller bucket to pour on yourself. This takes some getting used to, especially when the power goes out! The lights flick off AT LEAST 5 times a day. I love it! It's just another reminder that I'm in India. In the mornings we get to shower with all kinds of creatures that sneak in at night like frogs and geckos! I never imagined how refreshing a bucket shower could be!The SQUATTY POTTY.. I have a love hate relationship with India's version of the toilet. By now I've got some buff thigh muscles for sure! We can't flush the toilet paper because Rising Star's plumbing can't handle it, thus the little trash can. Yup, you throw away your USED toilet paper. I really regret it when I forget and have to fish it out of the bowl. YUCK! One toilet constantly makes a moaning sound. We call it the haunted potty! This is the Elephant House's public closet. We pick out a chitidar from here each day then put it in the laundry when we're done. It's really exciting in a way to see what we can find to fit, and what will look good on us. New chitidars show up every day! Safety pins are a hot item since we use them to make the clothes fit a little better or pin up holes and such. It's humbling and appropriate to wear clothes that aren't fancy and brand new. You make do!
This is the kitchen. The fridges are always stocked with fruit, boxed milk and bread. We all brought a box of cereal to share. Don't forget to wash your plate!
Every night we eat dinner on the roof and talk about our lows and highs of the day. The roof is also great for star gazing.
Getting ready to Skype!My roomies are THE BEST. We are partying 24/7 - giggling, sharing food, helping each other pick out what to wear. Mostly experiencing all of these new and fantastic things together!
The Elephant House will forever be in my heart!

3 comments:

  1. Trina- I am Jaana's cousin, Amy. AMAZING!! What amazing things you are doing and experiencing!!! I can feel the spirit touch mine through your words. WOW! Thank you for sharing yourself and your experience. You are awe inspiring as you have embarked on this adventure with such purpose and compassing. Remarkable woman!! You have opened my heart to people I didn't even know. Send my love to India! Can't wait to read more! Loves- Amy C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Amy! I am really glad to hear these things. I want so much to be able to express and share how amazing these people are. You support means a lot. Sometimes I feel like a missionary eating up everything I hear from home! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Elephant House the first thing that comes to MY mind when I think of traveling, but the way you talk about it makes it sound so fun and I wish I was there to spend some giggle time with you! :)

    ReplyDelete