Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The First Day

My first day at Rising Star was full of excitement! The first thing we did was find our room. I felt like a little kid speed walking around to find my name on a door! Then we picked where we would sleep. My bunk has the red sheet. (Ahh I love my bed after a long hard day.)Next we went out to meet the children at recess. They immediately ran up to us asking, "What's your name?" They would hug us and hold our hands. I felt immediately loved and accepted by them. The girl below is nicknamed "Sweetie." We are still great friends. She finds me every day and asks me if I remember her name. She really is sweet!This little boy begged me to take his picture, then stood back and made this serious pose. They'll do anything to get their picture taken and see themselves on the lcd screen!When the kids went back to class we went to pick out our chuditars (traditional dress) from the
laundry room. These ladies wash, iron and fold our laundry every day. I'm sure they are grateful to have this job.
I met my roomie Julie. She is in training to be the new director at Rising Star. I love her.

I did some dance moves with the girls who were practicing for a performance. I don't think they were very impressed with my moves and rightfully so!
Our luggage showed up! Woohoo!
That evening we went to prayer time with the children. For a half an hour they sing hymns and the head house mother teaches them about religious stories and life lessons. They end by kneeling and folding their arms while someone prays. All the children are so good about sitting reverently, unless I'm there taking pictures and distracting them. I just can't help it. They are TOO cute.
This tiny one laid her head on lap and fell asleep. It was my high for the day.
The spirit is so strong at the Rising Star campus. So many amazing things are being done for these children and their families. I can't wait to write my next posts and show you more. It gets BETTER! Goodnight!

1 comment: