Monday, March 5, 2012

healing



The other day my husband asked me,

"You know those bandages you used to make? What were they called?"

I looked up at him with a puzzled expression, and then it hit me, "Oh my goodness! Leper bandages!!"

I have been crocheting leper bandages for the past twelve years! It's been my favorite humanitarian aid project. I've made dozens of them!

When I worked as a theater manager for the Utah Shakespearean Festival, I would sit on the grounds of the outdoor theater and crochet bandages (in the moon light) while supervising the show. (My co-workers thought I was a little wacko!)

Not once did I think the bandages could actually be used for those affected by leprosy! I assumed it was a nick name of sorts, for bandages used for various types of wounds. After all, leprosy was an ancient disease from biblical times...

It's kind of a crazy thought to entertain, the thought that somehow I've had this cause in my heart for years and didn't even know it! Coincidence?

While pondering the irony of this story, I've thought about the wounds that can't be healed with medicine or crocheted bandages. The wounds of the heart. The wounds of the spirit. Wounds inflicted by prejudice, discrimination and a lack of understanding. I think about the deep sadness these people must experience on a daily basis. I can't comprehend what their emotional scars must be, but I'm willing to try!

I've had a lot of mixed reactions from those around me about going to India. Most of which have been pure excitement and support. A few seem to think what I'm doing doesn't make sense. One person said to me, "What good can you do in two weeks?"

This question has stuck with me, and really when it comes down to it, if I am able to help ONE person feel loved, even for a small moment, it will be worth it!

So off to India I go...with all different types of bandages.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment