Friday, March 30, 2012

Bharathapurum & micro lending

On day three we visited the colony called Bharathapurum. Rising Star has been working with this colony for ten years and it shows! It is a wonderful, beautiful colony. There are many successful micro lending programs in place here. I am excited to tell you about some of them, as well as the special connections I was blessed to make during my time in this lovely place.
It is very difficult to explain in words the experiences we have while serving these people. Simply put, it feels like a piece of HEAVEN on earth. The Indian people are pure in heart, humble, grateful and beautiful. I know I say these words over and over but I don't know how else to explain it!
There is a special story I would like to share. My sister was oiling a sweet grandma's feet at the medical station. When she was was finished, the woman pulled her scarf over her head, took my sisters hand in hers, pulled it to her chest, closed her eyes and began to pray. She prayed from her heart, first in Tamal, then in English, "Thank you Jesus, thank you Jesus, thank you Jesus." As she said those final words, a single tear fell down her cheek. We cried together for awhile, feeling as if our hearts would burst.
I have a lot of pictures in this post. It's so hard for me to choose just a few! I hope you enjoy them. They are special memories for me.
The medical vans.
Patient files with character.
The lady in green who prayed for my sister.
She is so beautiful..
This one is graphic but I thought you might want to see what leprosy looks like. This isn't the worst of it..
All cleaned up and ready to go!
I love this picture. This man has custom made shoes that fit his small disfigured feet. When I see this picture I see his clean bandages, I know he's been cared for and that makes me happy. This is the quaint village barber shop. A man had lost his wife and family because he had Leprosy. Because of Rising Star's micro lending program, he was able to learn a trade, became a provider once again, and his family returned to him. 
This is the art school where people affected by Leprosy are taught to paint. They can then sell their paintings for a profit. One man paints with his feet as he no longer has fingers. (The cow in the background is also part of the micro lending program.)The art is amazing!! I bought one for my house.
Just look at how proud she is of her of her work! This lady manages the school and is an artist herself!
There is beauty everywhere. A doorway by the art school.Pearls with a purpose! What a wonderful program. These talented women are able to create their own jewelry to send away or sell locally.I bought one of course! A gorgeous pearl necklace. I will cherish it always.
This darling girl's name (below) is Velankanni. I was lucky enough to meet her and have a little glimpse into her life. She lives in a modest home with her husband and son. I WISH I had more time to spend with her! Every time I meet someone a have to leave I feel torn away. Maybe I'll see her again someday!
When we couldn't pronounce her name, she went inside to get a pen, then wrote her name on my friend's hand. Her baby snuck his hand in at the last second! Precious.
Velankanni's view out her front door.
Every night the people here in India wash their front door and paint a design on the ground in front of it. It is thought of as a blessing and protection for the family.
These faces tell a thousand words.

My angel sister.
I was thrilled to see the positive effect Rising Star's micro lending program has had on the village of Barathapurum. Anyone who has Leprosy, and even the family or friends of those with Leprosy, are shunned from society making it impossible to obtain a job. This is partly why a person with Leprosy tries to hide the disease rather than seek out treatment. The micro lending programs Rising Star has created are essential for their survival and progression in life. Without a doubt, the best money I've ever spent was on the special items made with love at Bharathapurum.  
My day ended with dinner, prayer time and hugs from my girls!
I was blessed by my experiences this day.
Goodnight!

2 comments:

  1. cool stuff! and of course i noticed your camera. i didn't know you got a DSLR! the pics are turning out great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got me again with this post! Stop it! :) ♥

    ReplyDelete