Monday, May 21, 2012

I haven't forgotten

During our last group meeting (conclave) at Rising Star, we talked about the things we had learned, and what we would take home with us. Derek Sharp, our director, told us how easy it is to go home, get caught up in our regular lives, and forget the valuable things we learned and experienced in India. I made a vow to myself I would NEVER forget! I don't know how I possibly could! I've been home from India for 6 weeks and 2 days. (It feels like six months!) A day hasn't gone by that I haven't thought of that wonderful place and the beautiful people living there. India is still on my mind.

A few weeks ago I was contacted by a girl named Cherileigh about a fundraiser she was working on for Rising Star. It was a 5k fun run! She asked for my help in promoting the event. This was a no-brainer. Of course I would! Later she asked if I would be willing to come and speak to the runners before the race. ABSOLUTELY! I don't consider myself a strong public speaker by any means, but I couldn't possibly turn this opportunity down! Then came the thought, (somewhat dreaded) "How can I promote this event, speak at this event and not run the 5k myself?" I've never ran a 5k before or even trained for one! My mind was made up before I even thought it through. I had to do this for Rising Star and my loved ones in India.


When I arrived at Coyote Gulch, Ivins, Utah at 6:30 (yawn) in the morning, I was surprised to find that Cherileigh was a 15 year old high school student! I would have never guessed from her emails. She is an amazing girl, mature, warm and loving, as were the rest of her family and friends. 

Cherileigh organized this race for a school project and she did a wonderful job.  Her family has done service projects for Rising Star before. They would be a PERFECT family for the next Rising Star volunteer family session. I was SO glad to have the opportunity to share my experiences with them! 

This is me running on the right... CLEAR back there. I made the run in pretty decent time for my first, or so I was told. The scenery was gorgeous! I'm still sore. 


After the race, my heart skipped a beat when I looked down at the table and saw brochures from Rising Star.  I know and love those kids so much. I was overwhelmed with emotions, just as if I were back in India again. Without a doubt, I made the right choice to support this event! My next step is to organize a fundraiser of my own!


Here is our fabulous group! We rocked that 5k! Thank you everyone! 
(You can click the photos to enlarge them.)

2 comments:

  1. Good job!!! Proud of you some more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for coming, Trina! It was fun! You're awesome and what you're doing is amazing! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete