Monday, April 8, 2013

True Beauty

It's been a year almost to the day since I returned from serving Leprosy colonies with Rising Star Outreach. The things I experienced there profoundly changed my life.. Here is another story I would love to share with you.

While in India, I was drawn to a very special house mother named Vino. From the first time I met her, I could feel her strong spirit, sense her wisdom and see her light. It was if an empty space inside of me was being filled, every time I was around her.

One evening I snuck over to the childrens' hostel to say goodnight to the kids after prayer time. The room was dim as I walked in. The little ones were pretending to be asleep, lying on a thin blanket stretched over the cement floor. Vino was standing there. We spoke in a whisper as I introduced myself. We talked about the children. I mentioned how lucky they were to have her. She said, "It's true I know," and shared how much she loved them, how her heart swelled as she watched them sleep. I reached out and held her hands as we spoke. I was in awe of her.

On the days following, my sister, some friends and I continued to visit Vino at the childrens' hostel. She was known around Rising Star to be a talented henna artist. This was a perfect excuse for us to sneak over to Vino's after dark for girl's night! We waited with excitement for this part of our day.

Vino's room was the size of my walk-in closet. The walls were painted light lime green. A single bed sat in the corner, covered by a thin sheet with a childish print. It was hot, stuffy and smelled slightly of moth balls. This room, although dingy and small, felt like a sacred place. She taught me many lessons there..

One evening, we came to find Vino and another (younger) house mom in the middle of scripture study. (I wondered what the scriptures were. Bible possibly?) Vino very politely and quietly asked if we could wait a moment. As we sat on her bed, they continued to read and discuss. It was clear that Vino was a woman of great faith. Again she emulated a quality I admired.

At one time Vino spoke of her disdain for money, that she hoped she never had any. When we came to a topic of growing older, Vino wisely said, "Its not the age that's important. It's all about character and charm." When we asked her how she felt about her parents eventually arranging her marriage she said, "We can love anybody if we choose to."

Vino had many talents which she offered to share with us. She sang for us and shyly let us record her on camera. Her voice was shaky and vulnerable. She ended the song with a radiant smile. 

Vino showed us a card a man had commissioned her to make. It comprised of two faded sheets of construction paper, crudely stapled together. She was proud to show us her intricate designs, drawn on such a humble canvas.

At the end of one evening, Vino said when we came next she would dance for us. She told us she didn't dance for anyone, except for the children, as a reward for behaving well.

She kept her promise, and as I watched her dance, I felt a testimony grow about what true beauty really is. Here was a woman who could be viewed as plain and simple, meek and mild, modest, and unexceptional to most of the world. However, this was not what I saw.

For the first time I got it. The physical definition of true beauty was right there in front of me. She was shining! Part of her dance could be perceived as somewhat seductive, and I thought to myself, "Whoever marries this woman will be the luckiest man in the world!!" This aspect of her would be reserved, only for him.

At that moment, a culmination of lessons she taught me all came together and I was changed. This was the type of woman I wanted to be! She is beautiful inside and out. Selfless, compassionate, modest yet confidant, talented... BEAUTIFUL!

Possibly, I recognized some of her characteristics in myself. I felt joy in the KNOWLEDGE that the worlds standards of beauty need not apply to me. They were wrong. I fully understood what my husband saw in me that made me attractive in his eyes, not by the worlds standards, but as an eternal companion.

Out of all the things I anticipated learning in India, this definitely wasn't on of them. I now have a different perspective about the reality of what a lovely, and yes, desirable woman is! Vino may never know the impact she has had on me, and in turn, on my family. I can clearly see the lies we are being fed by the media, and the false ideals we are desensitized into believing. I can see the harm it does to women, men and children. My husband and I have taken great measures to eliminate these messages from our home.

At times when I feel myself being sucked into a destructive way of thinking, I remember a tiny woman who lives in a tiny room named Vino. I remember the witness I had of true beauty. I remember my role model. I'm so glad I traveled half way around the world to find her!

As a side note: Vino said to us that she had never been so close or shared so much with volunteers before. I hope with all my heart she will never forget me too!

Vino
The henna lasted for about two weeks. I was sad when it was gone.
We gave Vino and Nythia manicures and left our polish with them. Nail polish is a cherished item there.

No comments:

Post a Comment